Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hills Like White Elephants

I read "Hills Like White Elephants" and it left me kind of confused. I think if it had not been so confusing then I could have enjoyed it more. I feel like it should have been a bit longer and told more about what was going on. I mean they never even told you what this "operation" was. At first I thought they were talking about a marriage and eloping, but then thought it was about an abortion.
As Jig said the hills looked like white elephants and elephants are sometimes used to describe something awkward that everyone knows, but does not want to acknowledge or talk about. The elephant in the room could be her pregnancy because she would like to keep it, but he wants her to get an abortion. They keep talking about going back to the way were before and she asked if he will love her more. She keeps telling him that she cares more for him than herself and he does not want to hear that. but all they do is drink and go out and try new drinks together, I do not think that they really know how to communicate effectively with each other.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to deeply understand the story, a useful tool would be to research what the story means. i do this all the time, especially with movies. Hope you consider it and make a new post!

    ReplyDelete