Wednesday, March 27, 2013

We Real Cool

We read We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks for one of poems. It seemed like a poem about a "typical" teenager. Even though I do not agree with that phrase. Most people think of teenagers getting into trouble and doing bad things. The poem talks about how they are cool because they left school, stayed out late, drink alcohol, and had sex. I interrupt it to mean they ditched school then stayed out after curfew drinking and having sex. "We die soon" is the last phrase in the poem. I am not positive about what Gwendolyn Brooks meant by that line, but I think it could mean that since they are doing all of these wrong things or sinning that they are going to get killed or die from it.

I hate short poems, because it seems like they are the ones you have to read the most into. They do not just come out and tell you what is going on you have to guess. They use different metaphors and illusions to compare things. I am not good at pulling things apart to reveal the real meaning.Then again if the poem is too long, that makes it even harder. Sometimes after reading stories or poems or anything I have to do some research to understand what I read. We read "The Cask Of Amontillado" by Edgar Allan Poe and reading pieces by Poe is similar to reading stuff by Shakespeare.....CONFUSING!

No comments:

Post a Comment